Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Working Out

So I recently (umm...3 mos ago) purchased a membership...ok! ok! Renewed my membership to club fit (a local gym) for 2 years. I've gone there off and on...sort of. I won't go into the details of how often...suffice it to say at least 2 times a week...umm once a week....sometimes never.

Anand: "Ahhhhhhhhhh........" (long exhaled breath...followed by even longer pause, followed by spacing out for 5 minutes then thinking about time management)




So why don't I go to the gym as often as I would like? I am definitely interested in going, I forked out the money for the stinking membership...but why don't I go? I'll tell you why. It is because of my old arch nemesis....Time. He is always working against me.

So it is right now 10:00pm (MST) Oct-25-2005 and I'm going to the gym. I'll continue blogging when I get back!


I'M BACK!! Did you miss me? Now you have to...forget it!

In one and a half hours I was able to spend 30 minutes on the cross trainer and burn 300 calories. Pretty amazing considering the fact that 300 calories isn't very much and I probably put that on just by breathing. So what happened to the hour I was out of the house? Not a clue. Honestly. It must have been chewed up in the black hole that I like to call life.


I always end up going to the gym this late because it is the only time I seem to be able to go. Usually after I get home after work I eat a little and sit around for an hour trying to relax. But before you know it I'm back on the computer. You see I've got a little gig on the side that occupies most of my evenings developing software. It is a small, part-time thing but it is a great way to make extra money. I find that when I'm developing software I need to concentrate on what I'm doing for a fixed amount of time...usually 4 hours. If I'm in the zone I get lots done. Without this kind of focus I don't really accomplish enough. (I honestly wish it were like this at work!) So from 6-10 I'm working then I head out to the gym...only if I don't run into trouble during development, or have a problem that requires more time. If it is around 10:30pm I don't even bother going because club fit closes at 11:00pm. (Only the west-end location. The southside and northside locations are open 24hours. But I'm not prepared to drive for 45 minutes to an hour just to get in a 30 min workout!)

By the time I take a shower and settle down it's like 12:00am and I need to start thinking about getting to sleep!

Which brings me back to time. How to manage it? How to respect it? I haven't got a clue. But I'm interested in learning because it is very obvious to me I don't really know how. I don't have too many things going on in the evening so you would think I could always sqeeze in the workout but it doesn't always workout that way.

Anand: "Ahhhhh....."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home