Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Workout schedule

Ever since I joined the gym I have had difficulty maintaining a proper workout schedule.

Previously when I worked out I simply went to see how many calories I could burn and then documented that. I was averaging 400 calories per visit. I would also document what I was eating as a way to monitor my caloric intake. This process wasn't too bad but sometimes it became a bit tedious.

I would also vary my schedule so that I tried to visit the gym every 2nd day or at least 3 times a week. This also became difficult to maintain. The clincher was whenever I stopped going for a few days....my workout schedule came to a screeching halt. This spell could last a few weeks until I broke it by going more often.

Recently I read a report on diabetes that stated that I should do some kind of physical activity every day for at least 30 minutes. So I decided that instead of going to the gym 3 times a week - I will go every day. This has actually been pretty good as I have been able to maintain this, missing only one day for the past 2 weeks. I am also varying the intensity of the workout. Some days are filled with more demanding equipment and other days are less intense.

I have also been able to go more often with my fiance which has made a huge difference. Having someone to go with really motivates and encourages me to work harder on my goal for optimal health. Steve Pavlina talks about varying your routine whenever you get bored with your current one just to stay 'in the game'.

I am sure that I will probably get tired of going to the gym everyday. This will be my indication that I need to vary the schedule to help keep it going.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy *cow*! you posted!

I am glad you are going every day - but are you taking a day off for rest? Being physically active is one thing for sure but it's good to let the body recharge a bit. Maybe some light stretching or a long walk on a day off to stay active.

Nonetheless, that is rocking - you ever want to work out downtown the offer is still open (I've only been waiting a year! ;) )

Wednesday, April 05, 2006 1:50:00 pm

 
Blogger Ghassan Karwchan said...

playing poker could help burn calories
consider playing poker more
in other words, do come tomorrow to Justice's place

Friday, April 07, 2006 4:12:00 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home