Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Becoming a better developer

As a part of the process to becoming a better developer I find it easier to write down and prioritize tasks. These tasks are things I think I should be doing to be better such as reading a book, studying code or learning a new language. I usually break down the tasks rather than generalize it. This way it is more approachable and manageable. For example instead of making a task called:

"Read Refactoring by Martin Fowler"

I'll say...

"Read chapter 9 today out of the book Refactoring"

This way I'm breaking down what I want to accomplish to something that is achievable and I am also putting a deadline against it. I want to get it done today. Since it is a small goal...most likely I can get it done.

One way to organize these tasks is using this really cool application called:

"Remember the Milk."

It is a very 'google-ish' type of app and has the ability to help me organize almost anything.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Remembering the milk is an okay app, but I like Backpack the best - I pretty much categorize everything in there! Either way, I think having a place to write the lists down is a good thing.

Wednesday, August 22, 2007 10:01:00 am

 
Blogger Anand Narayan said...

Cool...I'll have to check that one out. The thing I like about the RTM app is that it has the ability to be used offline using google gears...not that I've ever used it but it just sounds cool

Wednesday, August 22, 2007 1:40:00 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home